Friday 3 April 2015

Seeing the Wood for the Trees!

My Wood Elves arrived on Thursday YAY! Two days later than they should have due to Royal Mail BOOOO! So I've been itching to stick them all together as fielding this -


- would not win me any prizes at Battle Brothers in May. Now I have two months to get all this assembled and painted (plus 5 Wild Riders and a Spellweaver) which I thought would be incredibly easy. Assembling them was only going to take a couple of hours right? WRONG!


First of all Wood Elf models are exceedingly complex, nowadays most of GW's range is incredibly detailed and I'd forgotten this. Second I decided, as you can see in that last picture, that I wanted scenic bases. A nice base increases how good a model looks tenfold and it's so easy when you're using cork. I intend to make it look like a mix of raised mud and rocky outcrops, still needs a few roots and bits and pieces but you can already see that it creates a couple of different levels in the units to make them more interesting.


After sticking together 31 Glade Guard I was glad to move on to the beautiful Wildwood Rangers. The models are gorgeous and I can't wait to get these guys monster hunting. But after these guys I finally got to the model I'd been waiting to put together all day. The Treeman!


I love the model but the 3 standard builds aren't completely to my liking. The Ancient and Durthu have a bit more movement in them but I love the strangleroots shooting out so I did some clipping and changing and there you have it! A simple modification to the build and it's a lot more dynamic, my only concern is that those strangleroots are super fragile. I can see them breaking at some point and me being very sad.


Finally after so many hours I completed all of the boxsets, as you can see from the family shot above. Really excited to have a Wood Elf army again and I can not wait to try these guys out int heir first game!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work fella, sorry I could have sorted you some Glade Guard, but looking forward to seeing them painted. Challenge on!

Chris Purchase said...

That's alright these are more than enough for Battle Brothers. Intending to give them Swiftshiver Shards so there's 60 magical arrows in the air at all times!