Tuesday 11 November 2014

White undercoat - the revelation

WHY HAVE I NEVER USED WHITE UNDERCOAT BEFORE?!!!!!

I've always been a stalwart defender of a black undercoat then layering up your paint. But look at this:

JUST LOOK AT IT! - 
That's white spray with one brown ink wash over the top of it. The bone is basically finished! Took me 3 minutes! Sure doing the swords etc is going to take a bit longer but I could base coat a 20 model unit in 15 minutes with shading! Today I will be experimenting with metallics and getting some colour on these bad boys but I think I'm a white guy now. Spray that is, I'm not going through some hideous Michael Jackson based procedure. 

2 comments:

greggles said...

Painting with washes (or glazing) is my favorite way to paint.

Try a white primer over something fleshy, then a dark wash (like you did with the bones), then go over the flesh with the color of your choice as another step.

The brown wash defines the edges, which the colored washes then add tone too. It's a fast and very effective way of painting xenos or alien skin!

Chris Purchase said...

Thanks Greg! I'm thinking of doing something like that for my Vergheists. Want to try a purple wash then build up the flesh over white to get that other worldly quality.