Saturday 31 January 2015

The Tiny Tournament Trio

Today was the big day! After two weeks of getting lists together and speed painting zombies it was finally time to take my tournament army into the fray! I'm not a naturally competitive person so tend to pick units I like the look of or like the background of instead of what's best to win battles however with this list I'd sought help on forums, written a few lists and finally got a list that I liked and was competitive (see earlier post).

I have to say I've been excited about the tournament for weeks so this morning was a blur as I got the army all together and filled my bag with army books, dice and pork scratchings. You can see the assembled force in a shambles below:

As I don't currently own a carry case big enough this is how I transport my force. It's not great and I got some odd looks as I meandered through Lichfield city centre desperately trying to stop gale force winds from throwing my terrorgheist off the tray and smashing it into pieces on the concrete below. 

7 people had bought tickets for the event at Titan Games but in the end only 3 showed up. Tom with his Thanquol led clanrat heavy Skaven army, Matt with his character unit wall of destruction Ogre Kingdoms force and me with my zombie conga lines. As there were three of us it made sense to just play a game against each opponent, 3 games, then tally up victory points. As there were prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place it was really just a case of who was getting which place!

We rolled dice to see who'd be getting the first game. Matt and Tom rolled highest so I sat this one out. As you can see from the pic below Tom's army is two massive hordes of clanrats, two warp lightning cannons and Thanquol. Matt on the other hand has a fairly even spread of Ogre units with a focus on his character heavy ironguts to hold up the middle. Matt has a sneaky tactic of using 3 sabretusks ahead of his army to block charging units however Tom won this first game after completely dominating with Thanquol. In a 2000pts army Thanquol is stupidly overpowered, him and Boneripper just tore through any units they got near and dominated every phase of the game. 


The second game was Tom and myself. You can see my block units of Skeletons and Zombies, a tactic that I hadn't used before but I'd been assured was how I should build Vampire Counts armies. In the end I won. It was a tough battle again dominated by Thanquol however he got bogged down trying to beat down 80 zombies and wasted three turns while my Vampire Lord, Kristoff, tore through everything else on the table. 


I forgot to take a picture of the third battle as it had been a long day. Matt really knows his Ogres and he regularly plays against Vamps so he was a seasoned vet in this situation. It started well with my Terrorgheist actually killing a unit of 3 Mournfangs but after Kristoff charged the character heavy Ironguts unit, got himself killed and left a lone necromancer to take an ogre unit in the face it was all over. My army crumbled to nothing and Matt got himself a complete and absolute victory. As we'd all won one and lost one Gareth, from Titan, gave us each a box set for our armies. Overall a fun day with some great players. Looking forward to the next one!

(My spoils)

No comments: